Australia is home to some of the best educational institutions in the world. Studying here not only provides every possible field of study, it also exposes you to the vibrant Australian culture and lets you interact with Australia’s friendly citizens. Each year, new students from overseas enroll to study in various learning institutions in Australia.
Studying in Australia is a great experience and it exposes you to a lot of diversity as you get your degree, masters or doctorate. To gain entry to Australia and enjoy the limitless educational opportunities, you must obtain a Student Visa.
Student visas gain you temporary residence in Australia during the course of your study in an Australian educational institution. The visa is only valid for the duration of your course with a few days, weeks or months added on depending on the nature of your studies.
To be eligible for a student visa, there are some requirements that need to be met, the most important of which are:
· You must have been accepted at an Australian University to study a registered course full time.
· You must prove that you have sufficient welfare to be able to support yourself throughout the course of your study.
· Sufficient English Language Skills.
· Confirmation of Enrolment at the University you intend to study at. You must prove that you have been accepted to study a course that is covered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions Courses.
· Proof that you have genuine intention to stay only temporarily in Australia. The Department of Immigration can obtain proof that you’re a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) by considering a number of factors including your immigration history, your circumstances, and your intentions.
· A comprehensive medical examination. For some students, undertaking radiological tests may be required to prove that they indeed have a clean bill of health. Sometimes even a police clearance check might be necessitated in case proof of your character is required.
· Health Insurance (our migration specialists recommend the Overseas Student Health Cover).
Duration of the Student Visa
The student visa will allow you to stay in Australia for the period it takes you to complete your course. A few extra weeks or months may be added on depending on the nature of the course you’re undertaking. You can also opt to extend your stay if you wish to work in Australia, attend your graduation, have a vacation or simply migrate there permanently. However, this is only possible if a Further Stay Restricted condition has not been imposed on your student visa.
A Student Visa (Subclass 500) requires a fee of $550 although the fees are not constant. You can confirm the fees at the Department of Immigration and Border Control’s website for better clarity. You should also note that before you’re eligible for a student visa, you should have cleared your tuition fees in full and also paid for the necessary amenities and clear the service fees. Therefore, before applying for a student visa, you need to be able to cover the cost of your entire stay in the Australian university.
If you would like guidance on the student visa application process, contact us now for a free assessment.